Awaken the Traditions of a 6,000 year old Mountain Community in the Magical Ring of Gullion. Folklore, Forage, Fairies and Butter Making!
Seventh generation farmer, Brian Hoey, grew up inside a magical ring of hills that surround the beautiful heather clad Slieve Gullion Mountain. Through Brian, who is now an expert mountain leader, tour guide and seasoned forager, the forgotten past is awakened with masterfully shared stories of the millenia-old traditions and secrets of this ancient magical place.
- Welcome 'Céad míle fáilte' Tea or coffee.
- Visit Brian's farmland home with digital visual display of 'Booleying' through the ages.
- Walk into a private 200-year-old half door stone cottage to see the original butter making tools and feel the past.
- Exclusive access along ancient drovers lanes to his neighbouring 'Cargas' Mountain Farm on Slieve Gullion's lower slopes.
- Guided walking tour of the upland farm with an introduction to foraging and "booleying" (making butter).
- Walk through mountainside 'lazy beds' and learn how they were abandoned during the great famine of the 1840's.
- Panoramic views in every direction of the stunning Ring of Gullion lanscape below.
- Visit the 'booley' site, an old stone enclosure used for centuries by cow herding girls and butter makers.
- Learn a craft and make your own butter.
- Enjoy an artisan picnic lunch at the Booley site with Brian's delicious foraged treats.
- A small momento foraged gift courtesy of Mountain Ways Ireland.
- COVID-19 measures in place
- Booking Required
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult Ticket||£67.50 per ticket|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.