Official website for NMD Museums

Blog (Newry and Mourne Museum Collection) - Museums

An old image of Warrenpoint Docks.

The historic development of Warrenpoint Harbour by Joanne Glymond

The building of a tidal dock in 1767 initiated the development of the town of Warrenpoint. The dock was funded by the Irish Parliament after the merchants of Newry petitioned them for a grant to build the dock. They submitted a plan and an estimate of the work was appraised at almost £3,000 with two years for building. The merchants were given a grant of £1,500. Roger Hall, Robert Ross, Robert Scott and Edward Corry were appointed as commissioners and the dock became property of the Hall family who were the landlords in the area.  

  • An old image of Warrenpoint Docks.

    The historic development of Warrenpoint Harbour by Joanne Glymond

    The building of a tidal dock in 1767 initiated the development of the town of Warrenpoint. The dock was funded by the Irish Parliament after the merchants of Newry petitioned them for a grant to build the dock. They submitted a plan and an estimate of the work was appraised at almost £3,000 with two years for building. The merchants were given a grant of £1,500. Roger Hall, Robert Ross, Robert Scott and Edward Corry were appointed as commissioners and the dock became property of the Hall family who were the landlords in the area.  

  • Photograph taken of Kilkeel Workhouse in the late 1960s by Hugh Irvine, then Vice Principal of Kilkeel High School and an enthusiastic local historian.

    Kilkeel Workhouse by Noelle Murtagh

    In 1839 a Poor Law Bill was passed to address the growing levels of poverty throughout Ireland.  The law divided Ireland into 130 Unions, each with its own workhouse and Board of Guardians.  Kilkeel Poor Law Union was established on 29th July 1839 and paved the way for the development of Kilkeel Workhouse. 

  • An image of the exterior of Newry & Mourne Museum.

    The role of William Johnson in local political and economic affairs by Noreen Cunningham

    William Johnson was a prominent local solicitor who lived in Warrenpoint with his legal practice, Johnson & Rutherford, at 6 Marcus Square in Newry. During the First World War, Johnston was particularly associated with recruitment and was Chairman of the Newry Recruiting Committee; Alex Fisher, another prominent local solicitor was its Hon. Secretary.  

  • Recent Posts

    Find out more
    • What's On
    What's On Search
    Dates
    Type:
    Area:
    Or type a Location:
    Keyword:
    Back to Top